With Arden recently back from Spain, I had been thinking of making a hearty fall spin on classic Galician soup. This soup is perfect for cooler days and pairs well with a crisp Chardonnay. Most of the ingredients you will probably already have in your pantry, which make it an easy choice when you are a bit pressed for time!
- ½ head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup green peas
- 14 oz can white beans
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 14 oz can basil, oregano, garlic diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- few shakes of black pepper
- salt to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add celery, onions, and carrots.
- Saute until slightly tender.
- Stir in garlic.
- Pour in chicken broth and orange juice
- Stir in tomatoes and cabbage.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
- Cook until cabbage is tender.
- Stir in peas and beans.
- Stir in oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt
- Let sit, covered on simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parmesan on top!
Gaux Beyond Your Taste Buds! – Margaux